Call us Call Us (111) 234 - 5678

Maximize Your Insurance Claim!

How to Repair a Water Damaged House

Water Damage Home

Jay Ch/Shutterstock

Water damage is nothing to sneeze at, although the mold contamination may have you sneezing if it’s not taken care of quickly! Whether you have a minor leak or major flooding, it’s important to act quickly to minimize damage and determine the extent of the repairs you’ll need to do. In some cases, you may need to consider hiring a public claims adjuster and filing a water damage insurance claim with your insurance company.

Dry It Out

Mold grows very quickly if water damage is not addressed right away, sometimes as soon as 24 hours. To minimize the water damage and mold growth, turn off the water to the house right away if the issue is a plumbing leak somewhere, and immediately start focusing on drying everything out. Use high powered fans to increase circulation dramatically. For extensive water damage, this step may require professional assistance.

Clean It Up

Once the moisture has been eliminated, you will need to disinfect everything to eliminate any mold growth that has already started. If it was clean or gray water, you might be able to do it yourself with a simple bleach solution. Spray and wipe down everything. If the water damage was caused by black (sewage) water, on the other hand, or if you suspect mold growth has already set in, you will want to call a professional.

Inspect for Repair and Replacement

If the water damage were caused by a broken pipe somewhere, of course, that would need to be fixed ASAP so that there isn’t more water damage. However, you may also need to do other repairs or replacements if the water damage was extensive. Wood, drywall, and other porous materials are susceptible to the effects of water damage. You may want a professional to assess the damage and tell you what repairs will need to be made.

Contact Your Insurance Company

If the water damage to your home was extensive and the repairs will be expensive, it may be worth contacting your insurance company to file a water damage claim. The insurance company may refuse to pay for damage that occurs after the initial event, such as mold growth as a result of the water damage, so be sure to take steps to mitigate the damage in the meantime.

Hire a Public Adjuster in Florida

You may also want to hire a professional such as a public insurance adjuster, someone you can trust to be on your side throughout the claims process. Rapid Public Adjusters will help you navigate the claims process from beginning to end, getting independent professional assessments and negotiating with the insurance company on your behalf. Call us today, and we will help you get started.